Masonry consists of bricks or stones, mortar joints, metal fasteners and sealing flashings. These elements must be integrated together to ensure the aesthetic appearance and performance of the work.
Metal fasteners are the most important elements in the masonry work because they transfer the lateral load from the wall to the building structure, and then prevent the lateral wall from moving outward.
Frequent problems in masonry cladding
- The lack of chantepleures at the base of the siding and above the openings (doors and windows).
- Corrosion of the steel lintels above the openings.
- The bulging of the bricks because of the deterioration of the metal fasteners.
- The bulging of the bricks because of a movement in the structure.
- Old and cracked bricks.
- Hollow or cracked mortar joints.
- Shear in the masonry.
- Deficiencies with respect to the tightness of the envelope.
- Hole, corroded or damaged sealing flashings.
Maintenance work of the exterior cladding
Regular maintenance of the exterior cladding is essential to maintain the integrity of the elements of the envelope. This will prevent premature deterioration in the elements of the building envelope and structure.
Onesta Building Council
Our engineering team can:
- Perform the expertises necessary for the exterior cladding.
- Evaluate the condition of coating and give a professional opinion.
- Offer the right solution for facing problems.
- Offer a detailed report with diagrams and photos.