What is building expertise?
Expertise is a more in-depth step than visual inspection; this is why it must be done by a building professional.
Expertise is needed in case of particular problem in the building such as:
- Air infiltration, heat losses, cold floors;
- Mold, moisture, condensation, water infiltration;
- Shears in masonry;
- Latent defects in the structure or envelope of the building;
- Sagging foundations, cracks, pyrite;
- Modification in the structure. etc .;
Expertise by an engineer
To verify and analyze the deficiencies and to allow him to give his opinion as to the necessary corrective measures , the engineer can:
- Practice exploratory holes;
- Use sophisticated equipment (hygrometer, infiltrometer, infrared camera, laser);
- Perform a watering test;
- Request additional laboratory analysis (pyrite, mold, soil bearing capacity, concrete capacity, etc.);
Following the visit, the engineer transmits his findings and recommendations with a detailed report and supported by photos, plans and diagrams. (according to the mandate).
Onesta Building Council
Onesta engineering consulting professionals offer expertise for the following components or issues:
- Siding : masonry, acrylic plaster, aggregate cladding, vinyl siding, aluminum cladding, wood cladding, etc.
- Roof and roof : asphalt shingles, asphalt and gravel, elastomer, metal roof, sloped roof, flat roof, cathedral ceiling, attic, ventilation, condensation, insulation.
- Thermography : infrared camera, thermal and energy losses, thermal resistance, cold floors and walls, insulation, air infiltration, humidity and condensation.
- Water infiltration : location of water infiltration using a hygrometer and infrared camera and watering tests to identify the source.
- infiltrometry : detect air infiltration points using an infiltrometer, an infrared camera and a smoke bulb.
- French drain : examine the video of the drain camera, and analyze the deficiencies of the French drain (poorly installed drain, crushed or clogged, etc.)
- Foundation and level reading : subsidence, cracks, crumbling of concrete, block foundations of concrete and cemented stones (rubble), piles, flooding.
- Vice caché : expertise and counter-expertise, testimony to the court, detailed report with digital photos, articles of the Construction Code and explanatory diagrams.
- Humidity and condensation : water infiltration, wood rot of the structure, mold, moisture of materials, ventilation in the attic.
- Insulation: heat loss, condensation, mold, vapor barrier, air barrier, basement insulation, wall and ceiling insulation, inter-roof insulation.
- Masonry and facades : Chantepleures, steel lintels, brick bulging, mortar joints, shearing in masonry, sealing flashings.